How to apply a chest wrap to bring body temperature down
If you are not comfortable any more with increased temperature of your child’s body you might consider trying apply chest wrap. Here is how you do it:
1. You need two big cotton towels and a plastic film as interlayer. You can simply cut a plastic bag along the longer side and on the bottom and use that.
2. Put one dry towel across the bed where you will lay your child down. On this towel you lay the plastic as an interlayer. This is needed to get a kind of a steam effect.
3. Now you soak the second towel with slightly warm water, fold it along the long side and lay it on top of the plastic interlayer.
4. Now you lay your child onto this setup which will be cold for him/her so that you have to sooth him/her while doing it. When she/he lies on it you wrap both ends of the wet towel around the chest of your child. This again will be cold for her/him. Make sure that the towel only covers the chest, not the stomach!
5. Also wrap the ends of the plastic interlayer as well as the dry towel around the chest of your child.
6. Cover your child with a blanket and monitor the temperature continuously with this device, helping you to follow the effects of your treatment.
7. After about 15 minutes the towels should be dry or at least warm. Remove them. If the temperature is still too high repeat the wrap one more time. You will see that the body temperature will go down at least one degree and your child already feels better and probably wants to sleep.
This treatment usually has a longer lasting effect so that temperature is not increasing immediately again.
This continuous in-ear thermometer for children helped a lot being aware of her temperature all the time and being assured about the effect of my treatments.