How to apply calf wraps to bring body temperature down
If you are not comfortable any more with the height of your child´s body temperature you might consider trying calf wraps instead of medication. Here is how you do it:
1. Feel the calf and the feet of your child. Only if they are warm you can consider to wrap them in wet towels.
2. You need one big towel and two smaller cotton ones. Put the big one under the legs of your child to keep the bed dry.
3. Soak the two small cotton towels with slightly cold water. The temperature of the wet towels should be only about 5-10° lower than the body temperature of your child. Wring them out as best as you can.
4. Wrap each leg from the feet to the knees in one wet towel and cover them with the ends of the big towel that lies under the legs of your child.
5. Cover your child with a blanket except the legs and continuously monitor the body temperature with e.g. this device helping you to follow the effects of your treatment.
6. After about 10 minutes the towels should be dry or at least warm. Remove them. If the temperature is still too high repeat the wrap one more time. You will see that the body temperature will go down at least one degree and your child already feels better and probably wants to sleep.
This continuous in-ear thermometer for children helped a lot being aware of her temperature all the time and being assured about the effect of my treatments.